Next Score View the next score

    Longtime NFL coach Gunther Cunningham dies at 72

    Mr. Cunningham, pictured in 2006, served as Kansas City Chiefs defensive coordinator before becoming head coach.
    David Eulitt/The Kansas City Star via AP/FILE
    Mr. Cunningham, pictured in 2006, served as Kansas City Chiefs defensive coordinator before becoming head coach.

    KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Gunther Cunningham’s life would have been vastly different had his family not emigrated from postwar Germany, settling in California when he was a young boy.

    For one thing, he almost certainly never would have dedicated his life to football.

    Yet Mr. Cunningham would go to spend more than five decades in the game, including stints in college and the Canadian Football League before making a name for himself in the National Football League. He worked for six different franchises over 34 years in the NFL, including a two-year stint as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.


    Mr. Cunningham died on Saturday after a brief illness. He was 72.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    A look at the news and events shaping the day ahead, delivered every weekday.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    His wife, Rene, said in a statement Monday that Mr. Cunningham died in Detroit, where he had served as defensive coordinator and a senior coaching assistant for the Lions before retiring in 2016.

    ‘‘Gunther Cunningham will forever be remembered as one of the great men of our game,’’ the Lions said in a statement. ‘‘He left a lasting impact on every person who was fortunate enough to work alongside him during his more than 47 years as a coach — including 34 years in the National Football League, the final eight of which were spent here in Detroit. Our organization is truly honored and proud to have been included in his distinguished coaching legacy.’’

    Mr. Cunningham’s father, Garner, was an American serving in the Air Force in Germany when he met his German wife, Katherina. Their precocious boy was born in Munich in 1946, and the family soon moved to the United States and settled in California, where Mr. Cunningham — who spoke no English — was ridiculed like many post-World War II immigrants for both his accent and ancestry.

    It was on the football field where he found his voice.


    Mr. Cunningham became a star linebacker for his high school team in Lompoc, and earned a scholarship to play at Oregon. His aptitude for the game made him a natural coach, and Mr. Cunningham got his start as the Ducks’ defensive line coach from 1969-1971.

    He later coached at Arkansas, Stanford, and California before a stint with Hamilton in the CFL. He then followed Frank Kush to the Baltimore Colts, where he got his first NFL coaching job.

    Colts owner Jim Irsay tweeted that Mr. Cunningham was ‘‘one of the finest men in our business.’’

    Mr. Cunningham eventually became one of the most aggressive and successful defensive coaches in the league, burnishing his reputation with the Chargers and Raiders before landing in Kansas City. He was an integral part of Marty Schottenheimer’s best teams as the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator, and became head coach when Schottenheimer resigned.

    He went 9-7 in his first year and 7-9 in his second, and his only head coaching stint ended on a sour note. Mr. Cunningham claimed he was never told by management that he’d been fired, learning it instead from reporters when he arrived to work in the morning.


    Mr. Cunningham spent some time with the Titans before Dick Vermeil lured him back to the Chiefs as his defensive coordinator. He spent the rest of his career with the Lions.

    Mr. Cunningham was known for his fiery demeanor and colorful vocabulary — yes, he picked up English, but his players would joke that he also knew plenty of French.

    But he also was the consummate players’ coach, putting their best interests first.

    Mr. Cunningham is survived by Rene, his wife of nearly 50 years, and their son, Adam, and daughter, Natalie. The family is planning a memorial service at a later date.