Next Score View the next score

    Whitey Bulger’s girlfriend Catherine Greig returns to Mass. to go to halfway house

    Dorchester-1988-Whitey Bulger and Catherine Greig walk together with her two poodles. BlackMassCast
    John Tlumacki/Globe Staff/File
    James “Whitey” Bulger and Catherine Greig in 1988.

    Eight years after Catherine Greig was sent to prison for helping fugitive gangster James “Whitey” Bulger evade capture, she returned to Boston Wednesday to serve the remaining year of her sentence in “community confinement,” according to the US Bureau of Prisons.

    The agency notified the families of Bulger’s victims that Greig had been approved for transfer to a halfway house on Cape Cod but also qualified for home confinement under the First Step Act, a recently enacted criminal justice law.

    Authorities declined to comment on where Greig, 68, had been placed but said she will be subject to electronic monitoring until she finishes her sentence on July 23, 2020.


    Earlier this month, Kevin J. Reddington, a lawyer for Greig, said she was slated to be moved to a facility in Barnstable County. But on Wednesday, Greig’s twin sister, Margaret McCusker, said Greig told her she will be staying at a private home in Hingham.

    Get Metro Headlines in your inbox:
    The 10 top local news stories from metro Boston and around New England delivered daily.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    “I don’t care where she is as long as she’s out and free,” said McCusker, of South Boston. “She’s a little nervous, but excited.”

    Reddington declined to comment on Wednesday.

    Greig’s plane arrived at Logan International Airport around 9:15 a.m from Minneapolis. She had served part of her prison term at Federal Correctional Institution-Waseca in Waseca, Minn.

    At the airport, Greig got into a waiting Ford Bronco, according to a witness at the scene. The SUV then drove toward the Ted Williams Tunnel.


    Greig, a South Boston native and dental hygienist, was Bulger’s longtime girlfriend and spent 16 years on the run with him until their capture on June 22, 2011, in Santa Monica, Calif., where they lived in a rent-controlled apartment.

    Unlike Bulger’s former associates who cut deals for leniency and cooperated against him, Greig remained steadfastly loyal to the gangster and it cost her. She was sentenced to eight years in prison for obstruction, then another 21 months for contempt of court for refusing to testify before a federal grand jury investigating whether others helped them when they were fugitives.

    In October, Bulger, then 89 and serving a life sentence for 11 murders, was beaten to death by fellow inmates at a federal penitentiary in West Virginia, hours after authorities transferred him there under questionable circumstances.

    Mary Callahan, whose husband, John, was killed by Bulger and his crew in 1982, said Wednesday that the Bureau of Prisons notified her in May that Greig was about to be released from prison.

    In a second letter sent this month, officials said Greig will live in Hingham after she completes her sentence next year.


    Patricia Donahue, whose husband, Michael, was shot and killed by Bulger in 1982 while giving a ride to his intended target, said Greig has served more time than Bulger’s associates who murdered people.

    “She did her time,” she said. “It’s time for her to get on with her life and it’s time for everybody else to get on with their lives.”

    In letters from prison, Bulger wrote that he hoped he would live long enough to see Greig released and that his family would take care of her when she was free.

    Travis Andersen and Danny McDonald of the Globe staff contributed to this report. Shelley Murphy can be reached at