The number of Massachusetts students and chaperones showing symptoms of norovirus after contracting food poisoning on a trip to Ecuador has now doubled, health officials said Tuesday.
Thirty people are now showing symptoms of the infection, the Boston Public Health Commission said in a statement. Norovirus has been identified among several of the travelers.
On Sunday morning, 13 people were transported to Mass General Hospital from Logan International Airport after their plane landed, according to the statement.
A preliminary investigation suggests that the infection occurred during a family style dinner the travelers ate before leaving Ecuador, health officials said.
Sixteen Dover-Sherborn Regional High School students and chaperones, part of a group of 40, flew from Quito, Ecuador, to Boston with a layover in Miami on an American Airlines flight.
The incident remains under investigation.Andrew Stanton can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @_andrewstanton.