Names
    Next Score View the next score

    Bill Cosby accusers who brought Mass. civil litigation have settled claims, court records show

    Bill Cosby.
    Matt Slocum/Associated Press
    Bill Cosby.

    Lawyers for seven women who brought civil litigation in Massachusetts against disgraced comedian Bill Cosby announced Friday that their clients had settled their claims against the fallen entertainer, while his spokesman insisted he won’t be making any payouts.

    Joseph Cammarata, a lawyer for the women, wrote in a brief status report Friday in US District Court in Springfield that the women had settled. Terms weren’t disclosed, and Cammarata didn’t immediately respond to inquiries seeking comment.

    “Plaintiffs’ claims against Defendant William H. Cosby, Jr. have been settled,” Cammarata wrote. “Each Plaintiff is satisfied with the settlement.”

    Advertisement

    But Andrew Wyatt, a spokesman for Cosby, said Friday in an e-mail message that the imprisoned entertainer isn’t giving up.

    Get The Weekender in your inbox:
    The Globe's top picks for what to see and do each weekend, in Boston and beyond.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    “Mr. Cosby did not settle any cases with anyone,” Wyatt wrote. “He is not paying anything to anyone, and he is still pursuing his counterclaims.”

    Wyatt said insurance giant AIG, which previously issued a homeowner’s policy to Cosby and fought him in court over the question of whether the company had a duty to defend him in the litigation, “decided to settle these cases, without the knowledge, permission and/or consent of Mr. Cosby. Mr. Cosby vehemently denies the allegations brought against him in these defamation suits and he maintains his innocence.”

    In a statement, AIG said it doesn’t comment publicly on specific claims issues.

    “Certain insurance policies provide insurers with the authority to resolve claims when the insured has been informed,” the company said.

    Advertisement

    Cammarata conceded in Friday’s filing that Cosby’s countersuit against the women is still pending. Cosby alleges in his countersuit that the women made false allegations for financial gain.

    “Should the Court lift the stay on this case and allow ... [Cosby’s] Counterclaims to proceed, for planning purposes the Counterdefendants hereby advise the Court of several dispositive motions that they intend to file within the next 45 days, which Counterdefendants believe will narrow the matters at issue in this case,” Cammarata wrote.

    One of the seven women has died, court records show.

    Cosby is currently serving a three to 10-year prison sentence in Pennsylvania for sexually assaulting a woman in that state in 2004.

    Dozens of women have come forward in recent years to accuse Cosby of rape and sexual assault. He has steadfastly denied wrongdoing.

    Material from the Associated Press was used in this report. John R. Ellement of the Globe Staff contributed to this report. Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.