Burning candles spark fire in West Bridgewater home

A two-family home in West Bridgewater caught fire Tuesday afternoon when a man left candles burning in his apartment after losing power in the blizzard, officials said.

Fire Chief Kenneth May said the man left his unit at 600 North Main St. just before 1 p.m. Residents of another apartment had to be evacuated as the flames spread. One person was taken to the hospital for evaluation with minor injuries, May said.

Heavy snow and winds pelted firefighters as they worked, making it harder to battle the fire.


“The weather conditions, the visibility, the snow — it was just a whole factor of getting there and finding fire hydrants,” May said. “It makes it all difficult.”

The fire was brought under control in about 20 minutes, but officials remained on scene for a few hours to make sure the fire was out and to clean up the area, the chief said.

Laney Ruckstuhl can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @laneyruckstuhl.