Boston police continued Wednesday to investigate the shooting on Boston Common on Tuesday night that left a 19-year-old Hyde Park man wounded. They have not filed charges against anyone, and three people taken into custody at the scene have been released.
The shooting took place near the bandstand at 6:47 p.m. Tuesday, triggering a chaotic scene at the nation’s oldest park, with civilians running for cover and Boston police and State Police swarming into the Common.
At the scene Tuesday night, Boston police Commissioner William B. Evans said that a gun was recovered and that the victim was taken to Tufts Medical Center, where he was in critical condition.
Evans, who was in Washington on Wednesday to appear before a panel for the House Homeland Security Committee, told reporters that he did not believe the shooting was random and that an argument broke out before the violence.
As of 4:25 p.m. Wednesday, the shooting victim was still in critical condition, Boston police spokeswoman Maisha Miraj said.
Three people taken into custody were chased down by police, including one who was followed into a trolley tunnel at the Arlington MBTA station, Evans said Tuesday night.
By late Wednesday afternoon, those three had been released from custody after police interviewed them, Miraj said. Authorities had yet to charge anyone in connection with the incident, she said.
“It’s an active and ongoing investigation at the moment,” Miraj said.John R. Ellement can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @JREbosglobe.