Next Score View the next score

    New England news in brief: Sept. 13


    Childhood disease reported at Harvard

    Harvard University cautioned students about the spread of hand, foot, and mouth disease after several cases were confirmed on campus Monday, the Harvard Crimson reported. Students living in the Currier House, an on-campus residence for undergraduates, received an e-mail from Currier House resident dean Amanda S. Lobell, a professor of human evolutionary biology at the university, alerting them that the disease was present on campus. A spokesman for Harvard University Health Services told the Crimson there have been isolated cases of the disease on campus, although he did not name the specific residences affected. Hand, foot, and mouth disease typically occurs in infants and children under age 5, but it can affect adults, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.


    Service held for sailor killed on USS McCain

    Hundreds of people turned out to honor a 26-year-old sailor killed after the USS John McCain collided with an oil tanker near Singapore last month.The mourners said goodbye to US Navy Electronics Technician 2nd Class Dustin Doyon during calling hours on Monday. Doyon, who lived in Suffield, graduated from Cathedral High School in Springfield, Mass., in 2009. A funeral Mass and burial have been scheduled for Tuesday. Doyon’s body was recovered several days after the collision by divers searching in the ship’s compartments. Town residents, Boy Scouts, and others, many carrying small flags, lined Main Street on Friday as the hearse carrying Doyon’s body arrived from Bradley International Airport. Doyon was among 10 sailors killed when the Aug. 21 collision tore a hole in the ship’s left rear hull and flooded adjacent compartments, including crew berths and machinery and communication rooms. Doyon enlisted in the Navy in April 2015, and reported to the USS John S. McCain, his first ship, in June 2016. He was promoted posthumously on Sept. 1 from Electronics Technician 3rd class.


    State halts admission to psychiatric hospital

    State mental health officials continue to discover serious lapses inside psychiatric hospitals owned by Arbour Health System. This time, they have suspended admissions to Lowell Treatment Center after finding “serious issues involving patient safety.’’ The state Department of Mental Health also found that the facility was not clean or well organized, according to a statement e-mailed to the Globe on Tuesday by the agency’s spokeswoman, Daniela Trammell. The department conducted surprise inspections at Lowell and at Pembroke Hospital on the evening of Aug. 31. Inspectors did not find safety issues at Pembroke, but admissions to Lowell were suspended later that night and remain closed, the mental health department said. Arbour Spokeswoman Judy Merel characterized the state’s findings differently. Merel said state officials identified “a small number of findings related to the physical plant and clinical documentation. As a result, she wrote in an e-mail, the hospital sped up improvements, including installing new floors in patient treatment areas. Merel said improvements will be completed by the end of the week, and the company anticipates inspectors will allow admissions to resume soon. State inspectors returned to Lowell Sept. 1 and Sept. 6 but did not allow it to reopen to new patients. There are currently eight adults and four teenagers being treated at the hospital.