Makes about 24
Unskinned almonds and lightly salted green pistachios add nutty, toasty flavors to macaroons.
|1||cup whole unskinned almonds (not dry roasted)|
|⅓||cup roasted and lightly salted shelled green pistachios|
|1||teaspoon vanilla extract|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Line 2 unrimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, combine the almonds, pistachios, and ¼ cup of the sugar. Pulse until the nuts are finely ground. Add the egg whites and vanilla. Pulse a few times to incorporate them.
3. Add the remaining ½ cup of sugar and pulse until blended.
4. Drop the batter onto the baking sheets in 1 tablespoon mounds, setting them 1½ inches apart. Moisten your fingers and flatten the macaroons slightly so they’re about ½-inch tall and round the edges.
5. Bake in the center of the oven for 14 minutes, or until golden around the edges and bottoms, and pale golden on top. They should still feel soft. (They will crisp as they cool.)
6. Slide the parchment paper with the macaroons onto a wire rack. When almost cool, transfer them to the rack to cool completely. Store in airtight containers for up to 4 days. Lisa ZwirnLisa Zwirn can be reached at email@example.com.